Wednesday 10 April 2013

Mourne and Lackagh 5/6th of April

Enjoyed my first trip out of the year and getting to grips with the Double-hand rod. I'm using a Guideline Le Cie 14'8 9/10 Medium/Fast rod with a DDC 13.5m shooting head at around 40grams. Results on the fish front were nil and on the casting front I flared up some tennis elbow that can occur from time to time. Its mainly down to a tight grip and being too rigid and tensed with my right arm, got it from laying blocks a few years back. But after a more thoughtful approach with some practice on Sunday I should not be troubling it anymore, mainly down to poor technique. It can be very easy to slip into a frame of mind where you start forcing your approach for distance and causing problems, which I did! But its a step in the right direction as I can assess my technique, also feel I would have benefitted with a polyleader as I just used a short length of fluoro as I put a sink 2/3 tip on the DDC and didn't want a long leader. Blew the anchor a lot with this setup so its a learning process but I am getting more confident and refined in my approach to these bigger rivers!

   So we fished the Mourne Friday and the Lackagh Saturday. Day tickets were £30 for the Mourne and €25 for the Lackagh. Expensive if you rack up a few days over the season but it depends if you think its worth it or not. I gladly pay it for the Mourne as the fly water is superb and hard to beat, plus it gets fish! Here is some snaps.











No comments:

Post a Comment